Salad of fresh buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes and mixed greens, dressed with an herb vinaigrette.


This is one of our favorite salads! It’s perfect after a long day because its simple, elegant and full of flavor. Tonight I served it with oven toasted flatbread, garnished with Herbs de Provence; but feel free to experiment with whatever type of bread you have on hand that day (rosemary ciabatta is fantastic as well).
The herb vinaigrette is the perfect dressing to tie this salad together. I have a love affair with fresh herbs, especially Italian flat leaf parsley and basil (which I use in the vinaigrette). With the abundant availability of fresh herbs these days, I tend to have them on hand most of the time. Remember, variety is the spice of life, so try them all.
The below recipe serves two (perfect for a night at home with my husband).

Dressing:

1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 clove of garlic
½ c fresh herbs(Italian flat leaf parsley & basil)
½ tsp honey
salt & pepper to taste

I use my mini prep cuisinart for dressings, this is probably one of the best items I have in my kitchen (besides my large cuisinart of course) and its perfect for dressings. If you don’t have one though make sure to finely chop the garlic and herbs before adding. Add the vinegars, Dijon mustard, and honey and mix with wisk or cuisinart. From there I add salt, pepper and garlic, mix again. Next the Extra Virgin Olive Oil (if mixing in a bowl add slowly as you wisk). Next add the fresh herbs. Dressing should be thick in consistency.

Salad:

2 flat bread
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp herbs de provence
1 c chopped tomatoes
½ c chopped kalamata olives
½ c chopped fresh mozzarella
2 tsp capers
5 c mixed greens
salt & pepper to taste

For the flat bread (or your favorite tangible card), first pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Brush flat bread with olive oil and sprinkle herbs de province, salt, & pepper. Cut into eight pieces, place on baking pan and cook in oven for 9 minutes.

For the salad I like to mix the greens only with dressing. Next I mix in tomatoes, olives, capers, and fresh mozzarella. Place flat bread around and serve.
Wine of the evening (chosen by Zac)
2004 Il Gioiello Barbera
This wonderfully deep purple wine is rich with fruit flavors and is one of the best Barbera wines I have tried. There are aromas of plum and cranberry, with a beautiful fruity finish. The richness of this wine compliments the acidity of the balsamic dressing and is a sexy compliment to this Healthy CHIC salad!

1 comment:

Chic Appetite said...

I found your blog when looking for something healthy to make and this is fantastic. Can't wait to see what you have next!